Toolset 5: Physical
- This toolset includes: role play, drama, simulations, brain gym etc.
- Children need a balance of physical and intellectual learning activities every day. Learning is better when it is varied and broken up by physical activity.
- Simulations: finding physical ways to represent concepts e.g. children show physically (linking arms, running about etc) the difference between water, ice and water vapour by representing how the molecules relate in each state.
- Extended simulations: e.g. re-enacting the voyage of the Tudor explorers to Virginia in the 1580s; planning the supplies needed, role-playing the key characters etc.
- Collaborative learning approaches often involve moving around e.g. jigsaw, snowballing etc.
- Techniques like frozen pictures, forum theatre etc can be used across the curriculum.